Our commitment is to enhance and save lives through organ, eye, tissue and blood donation while maintaining respect for those who give the gift of life.
Successfully responding to the needs of our blood donors, donor families, community partners and employees is paramount to us. We are an organization that cares. We look for people who C.A.R.E.
CARE stands for Communication, Accountability, Respect and Engagement
Unyts promotes a culture of honest and respectful communication. We are held to a strict standard of quality which can only be achieved through individual and organizational accountability. Respect is so important to us that it is included in our mission statement and permeates everything we do.
We strive to create an atmosphere where employees feel engaged, meaning they are devoted to achieving objectives and organizational success.
Becoming a part of the Unyts’ family requires that, in addition to your technical skills, you demonstrate the CARE principles with donors, colleagues and community partners. We are unique. We are WNY’s ONLY organ, eye, tissue and community blood center. We are tightly regulated and require employees to be conscientious and demonstrate superior levels of professional decorum. We care about how we do things, what we say and how we treat people.
We don’t get a second chance to make a good first impression. First impressions mean a lot to our donors and their families.
We adhere to a business casual dress code. What is business casual? Business casual is crisp, neat and looks appropriate even for a chance meeting with a CEO. It should not look like cocktail party or picnic attire. It’s not tight OR baggy. Business casual is NOT a suit; it tends to be classic rather than trendy. Casual business attire includes: dress slacks, a dress shirt with a collar, dresses, skirts, sweaters, turtlenecks and dress shoes. Whether you are in business casual or scrubs, we expect our employees to look groomed at all times. While we can appreciate artistic expression, tattoos must not be visible while at work. Piercings are limited to ears. No facial piercings.
We think an employee that demonstrates the above qualities in addition to bringing a high level of commitment, loyalty and enthusiasm to champion Unyts’ mission to be an engaged individual. If this describes you, then maybe Unyts is the place for you.
Blood Donor Phlebotomist
Full Time, Variable Hours; rotating weekends and holidays
Responsibilities: Will perform medical screening of blood donors, phlebotomy, and the care of blood donors post-phlebotomy.
Requirements: Must be able to work a flexible schedule. High School diploma and excellent customer service skills required. Must have certification in phlebotomy. Previous phlebotomy experience preferred. Must be able to work in a highly regulated setting and should enjoy working with people in a fast-paced environment. Valid NYS driver’s license required.
Eye & Tissue Donation Specialist I – Buffalo
Responsible for donor suitability determination, aseptic surgical tissue procurement, packaging, processing and distribution related to eye and tissue services.
• Participate in 24 hour call as a member of the tissue and eye procurement team
• Enter all necessary information into donor electronic medical record system
• Ensure proper reconstruction of the donor following tissue and eye recovery
• Assist in general maintenance of all clinical areas
• Bachelor's degree in a healthcare or Life Science area preferred.
• Associates Degree or higher in Life Sciences; or 1 year experience in eye or tissue banking or healthcare related field.
• Effective communication and excellent interpersonal skills required.
• Knowledge of human anatomy and medical terminology is required.
• Must have a valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
Eye & Tissue Recovery Technician
Responsibilities: As a member of our procurement team, the Recovery Technician works on a per diem basis to recover and preserve eye and other tissue from authorized donors. Responsibilities include aseptic surgical tissue recovery, donor reconstruction, tissue packaging and shipping. Must have availability to participate in 24 hour call schedule and meet all related requirements.
Requirements: Qualified candidates will possess an Associate's degree or higher in Life Sciences and a minimum of one year of relative work experience, preferably in a hospital or clinical environment. Previous eye or tissue banking experience preferred, ophthalmic technicians, funeral home directors; emergency medical technicians; or those with military medical training and experience will be strongly considered. Must have a valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
Medical Records Quality Control Coordinator
This is a non-exempt, full-time position
Responsibilities: Responsible for compliance with Organ, Eye and Tissue SOP’s and regulatory/accrediting agency policy/standards. Ensures timely and accurate review of eye and tissue donor charts, electronic medical record data and any other data entry and record reviews associated with Unyts organ, eye and tissue donors.
Qualifications: High School Diploma required. Associates degree preferred in health care or related field or two years of work-related experience. Two years of experience in a clinical or medical office setting preferred. Extensive medical terminology knowledge and skill required. Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, and Excel required. Excellent attention to detail, problem solving and the ability to think critically required. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required.
This is a part time position (20+ hrs/week)
Responsibilities: Prepares blood components, QC samples, and performs testing procedures and validations according to SOP. Reviews the accuracy of lab results and commits them in the computer system. Reviews QC, QA, occurrences and other quality documentation to assure compliance. Researches and develops new/revised processes and SOP.
Qualifications: NY State Clinical Laboratory Technologist license or eligibility for Laboratory Technologist required. Minimum two years blood bank experience preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology or equivalent degree.
Mobile Drive Assistant
• Drive the mobile vehicle to and from blood drives, loading and unloading the vehicle, assisting with the set up and breakdown of mobile drive sites and assisting with drive duties as requested.
•Perform donor registration process.
• Provide coverage of the refreshment area as needed.
• Perform blood donation stripping, segmenting and cooler packing.
• Duties also include delivering blood or supplies as needed.
• Must have a valid clean NYS Drivers License.
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• Strong keyboarding skills required.
• Microsoft Office skills including data entry required.
• Strong customer service skills required.
• Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and enjoy working with people.
Network Support Specialist
• Ensure the stable operation of the in-house computer network.
• Administer help desk and provide end-user, desktop support to Unyts staff.
• Maintain and optimize all network hardware, software and communication links while ensuring minimal network downtime.
• Diagnose, resolve and document hardware and software network problems in a timely and accurate fashion.
• Degree in the field of computer science and 3 years related work experience, or equivalent work experience.
• Working technical knowledge of network and PC operating systems, including TCIP/IP, Windows Server, Exchange. Working technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols and standards.
• Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
• Domain/Active Directory Knowledge
• Ticketing System Experience
• VMware environment experience
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Keen attention to detail, analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to conduct research into networking application issues and products as required.
• Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Strong customer service orientation, as well as experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Vice President of Quality
Responsibilities: Oversee the Quality Department and the Quality system for the entire organization. Ensure compliance with local, state, federal and regulatory agencies. Promote an environment of continuous performance improvement to assure that Unyts’ mission is at the forefront of organizational activities. Foster a quality culture and an organizational environment of communication and collaboration.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s preferred. Seven to ten years of regulatory and/or QA related experience, with a minimum of five years management experience. Knowledge of regulatory agencies preferred. Team oriented approach required with strong management philosophy of continuous quality improvement. Individual must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to facilitate change through leadership.
The following jobs are for our SYRACUSE location:
Eye & Tissue Recovery Technician
Responsibilities: Recover musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, skin and other tissues on a per diem basis under the supervision of an Eye and Tissue Recovery Technician Team Leader. Responsible for aseptic surgical tissue procurements, donor reconstruction, tissue packaging at recovery and shipping post-recovery. Must have availability to participate in 24 hour call schedule and meet all related requirements.
Requirements: Associates degree or higher in Life Sciences. Experience in the health/science field such as ophthalmic technician, funeral home director, emergency medical technician, surgical technologist or one year hospital experience in a clinical area; or one year eye bank experience; or one year experience in tissue banking. Knowledge of human anatomy is preferred. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
If you are interested in working at Unyts, review our listings regularly to ensure that you apply for all jobs for which you are qualified.
Unyts is an equal opportunity employer.