Our commitment is to enhance and save lives through organ, eye, tissue and blood donation while maintaining respect for those who give the gift of life.
Successfully responding to the needs of our blood donors, donor families, community partners and employees is paramount to us. We are an organization that cares. We look for people who C.A.R.E.
CARE stands for Communication, Accountability, Respect and Engagement
Unyts promotes a culture of honest and respectful communication. We are held to a strict standard of quality which can only be achieved through individual and organizational accountability. Respect is so important to us that it is included in our mission statement and permeates everything we do.
We strive to create an atmosphere where employees feel engaged, meaning they are devoted to achieving objectives and organizational success.
Becoming a part of the Unyts’ family requires that, in addition to your technical skills, you demonstrate the CARE principles with donors, colleagues and community partners. We are unique. We are WNY’s ONLY organ, eye, tissue and community blood center. We are tightly regulated and require employees to be conscientious and demonstrate superior levels of professional decorum. We care about how we do things, what we say and how we treat people.
We don’t get a second chance to make a good first impression. First impressions mean a lot to our donors and their families.
We adhere to a business casual dress code. What is business casual? Business casual is crisp, neat and looks appropriate even for a chance meeting with a CEO. It should not look like cocktail party or picnic attire. It’s not tight OR baggy. Business casual is NOT a suit; it tends to be classic rather than trendy. Casual business attire includes: dress slacks, a dress shirt with a collar, dresses, skirts, sweaters, turtlenecks and dress shoes. Whether you are in business casual or scrubs, we expect our employees to look groomed at all times. While we can appreciate artistic expression, tattoos must not be visible while at work. Piercings are limited to ears. No facial piercings.
We think an employee that demonstrates the above qualities in addition to bringing a high level of commitment, loyalty and enthusiasm to champion Unyts’ mission to be an engaged individual. If this describes you, then maybe Unyts is the place for you.
Blood Donor Phlebotomist
Full Time, Variable Hours; rotating weekends and holidays
Responsibilities: Will perform medical screening of blood donors, phlebotomy, and the care of blood donors post-phlebotomy.
Requirements: Must be able to work a flexible schedule. High School diploma and excellent customer service skills required. Must have certification in phlebotomy. Previous phlebotomy experience preferred. Must be able to work in a highly regulated setting and should enjoy working with people in a fast-paced environment. Valid NYS driver’s license required.
Donor Screening Coordinator
2nd shift-rotating weekdays/weekends
• Coordinate all activities related to donor referral telephone calls including evaluating donor potential and suitability and coordinating notification of recovery staff, as appropriate.
• Inputs data in the computerized data tracking system.
• Responsible for the management of incoming calls.
• Assists in building security by managing entry and access to the building.
• Coordinates activities with funeral home directors, medical examiners, and coroners.
• High school diploma required, Associates degree preferred.
• Medical terminology required.
• Data entry skills and experience required.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills required.
• An excellent command of the English language required.
• Must be customer service focused, as well as team oriented.
• Clinical or medical office experience preferred.
Eye & Tissue Clinical Liaison
• Responsible for establishing new and strengthening existing relationships in identified medical markets in order to ensure achievement of Unyts’ Eye and Tissue strategic goals.
• Responsible for identifying, cultivating and soliciting current and prospective medical partnerships.
• Assist in the development and delivery of all marketing materials associated with the department’s strategic initiatives.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, business or related field and three years experience or Associates degree and four to six years sales, marketing, communications or business experience required.
• Successful sales experience desired.
• Clinical experience / knowledge helpful.
• Must be able to communicate articulately, and possess excellent interpersonal skills.
• Business dress and professional experience required.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Eye & Tissue Recovery Technician
Responsibilities: As a member of our procurement team, the Recovery Technician works on a per diem basis to recover and preserve eye and other tissue from authorized donors. Responsibilities include aseptic surgical tissue recovery, donor reconstruction, tissue packaging and shipping. Must have availability to participate in 24 hour call schedule and meet all related requirements.
Requirements: Qualified candidates will possess an Associate's degree or higher in Life Sciences and a minimum of one year of relative work experience, preferably in a hospital or clinical environment. Previous eye or tissue banking experience preferred, ophthalmic technicians, funeral home directors; emergency medical technicians; or those with military medical training and experience will be strongly considered. Must have a valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
Facilities Assistant I
This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
• Routine maintenance of Unyts' fleet at 90 Curtwright.
• General building assistance to employees.
• Coordinates all shipping/receiving functions for 90 Curtwright.
• Day-to-day maintenance and general janitorial duties at 90 Curtwright and satellite facilities.
• Minimum high school diploma or GED required.
• Must have basic knowledge of maintenance and/or janitorial services and basic computer skills.
• Shipping/receiving experience a plus.
• Excellent communication and customer service skills required.
• Must have a current and clean CDL License to drive a Bus and must have own reliable transportation.
This is a part time position (20+ hrs/week)
Responsibilities: Prepares blood components, QC samples, and performs testing procedures and validations according to SOP. Reviews the accuracy of lab results and commits them in the computer system. Reviews QC, QA, occurrences and other quality documentation to assure compliance. Researches and develops new/revised processes and SOP.
Qualifications: NY State Clinical Laboratory Technologist license or eligibility for Laboratory Technologist required. Minimum two years blood bank experience preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology or equivalent degree.
Pheresis Specialist III
• Medical screening of blood donors, performing phlebotomy, and the care of donors post-phlebotomy both for whole blood and automated platelet collection utilizing two or more platelet technologies.
• Management of multiple donors, (2) or more, during phlebotomy is expected.
• Provides appropriate handling of donor reactions.
• Must follow written Standard Operation Procedures and be knowledgeable in Current Good Manufacturing practices (cGMPs) and NYS regulatory requirements.
• Donor collections personnel will work at Unyts fixed collection sites, on mobile collection vehicles, and at various mobile draw sites within the region.
• High School diploma and excellent customer service skills required.
• Previous experience in whole blood phlebotomy and automated platelet collection required with phlebotomy certification preferred.
• Must have current CPR certification.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced and highly regulated environment and should enjoy working with people.
• Valid NYS driver’s license required.
The following jobs are for our SYRACUSE location:
Eye & Tissue Recovery Technician
Responsibilities: Recover musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, skin and other tissues on a per diem basis under the supervision of an Eye and Tissue Recovery Technician Team Leader. Responsible for aseptic surgical tissue procurements, donor reconstruction, tissue packaging at recovery and shipping post-recovery. Must have availability to participate in 24 hour call schedule and meet all related requirements.
Requirements: Associates degree or higher in Life Sciences. Experience in the health/science field such as ophthalmic technician, funeral home director, emergency medical technician, surgical technologist or one year hospital experience in a clinical area; or one year eye bank experience; or one year experience in tissue banking. Knowledge of human anatomy is preferred. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
If you are interested in working at Unyts, review our listings regularly to ensure that you apply for all jobs for which you are qualified.
Unyts is an equal opportunity employer.