Successfully responding to the needs of our blood donors, donor families, community partners and employees is paramount to us. We are an organization that cares. We look for people who C.A.R.E.
CARE stands for Communication, Accountability, Respect and Engagement
Unyts promotes a culture of honest and respectful communication. We are held to a strict standard of quality which can only be achieved through individual and organizational accountability. Respect is so important to us that it is included in our mission statement and permeates everything we do.
We strive to create an atmosphere where employees feel engaged, meaning they are devoted to achieving objectives and organizational success.
Becoming a part of the Unyts’ family requires that, in addition to your technical skills, you demonstrate the CARE principles with donors, colleagues and community partners. We are unique. We are WNY’s ONLY organ, eye, tissue and community blood center. We are tightly regulated and require employees to be conscientious and demonstrate superior levels of professional decorum. We care about how we do things, what we say and how we treat people.
We don’t get a second chance to make a good first impression. First impressions mean a lot to our donors and their families.
We adhere to a business casual dress code. What is business casual? Business casual is crisp, neat and looks appropriate even for a chance meeting with a CEO. It should not look like cocktail party or picnic attire. It’s not tight OR baggy. Business casual is NOT a suit; it tends to be classic rather than trendy. Casual business attire includes: dress slacks, a dress shirt with a collar, dresses, skirts, sweaters, turtlenecks and dress shoes. Whether you are in business casual or scrubs, we expect our employees to look groomed at all times. While we can appreciate artistic expression, tattoos must not be visible while at work. Piercings are limited to ears. No facial piercings.
We look for employees that demonstrate the above qualities in addition to bringing a high level of commitment, loyalty and enthusiasm to champion Unyts’ mission.
Unyts seeks to fill the following positions:
If you are interested in working at Unyts, review our listings regularly to ensure that you apply for all jobs for which you are qualified.
Unyts is an equal opportunity employer.
Blood Donor Phlebotomist
Full Time, Variable Hours, rotating weekends and holidays
Responsibilities: Will perform medical screening of blood donors, phlebotomy, and the care of blood donors post-phlebotomy.
Requirements: Must be able to work a flexible schedule. High School diploma and excellent customer service skills required. Must have certification in phlebotomy. Previous phlebotomy experience preferred. Must be able to work in a highly regulated setting and should enjoy working with people in a fast-paced environment. Valid NYS driver's license required.
This is a non-exempt, part time under 20 hours/week position. The hours are based on blood drive schedules, and would include some first, and second shift coverage, as well as some weekends and rotating holidays. This position involves component preparation, component modification, blood product distribution, customer service and all computer functions related with those duties.
• Prepare and separate donor blood into components as described in standard operating procedure.
• Prepare recovered plasma for shipment.
• Answers phone/fax orders from hospitals.
• Consign blood products to hospitals or other consignees (plasma manufacturers, etc.) as necessary.
• Label and validate components when testing is complete.
• Perform all computer or manual functions necessary to document and track disposition of all components.
• High School Diploma required.
• Degree in biological/clinical science or experience preferred.
• Strong customer service skills required.
• Must be able to work in a highly regulated, fast-paced environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
Customer Service Coordinator – Part Time
This is a part time over 20 hours/week position. The schedule is Monday through Friday during the day, with hourly flexibility.
Coordinating and overseeing the inside data, customer service and support required for mobile blood drives while working with Account Executives and Recruiters to achieve maximum results.
• Associate Degree Required in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Computer Service or related field preferred.
• Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills and have a commitment to customer service.
• Proficient computer knowledge including MS Office, Publisher and Excel necessary.
• Database and internet applications a plus.
• Energetic, flexible, detail oriented and strong organizational skills required.
• Must have current NYS driver’s license.
Donate Life Educator
Responsible for program delivery and support of educational programs targeting school and community-based markets.
• Assist the Community Partnership Manager in the development of new programs, programmatic updates and development of new educational materials
• Participates in the training and placement of volunteer ambassadors in the Donate Life: Talk It Up! Speakers Bureau.
• Supports and staffs Community Relations events and activities as needed.
Requirements: Bachelor degree in education, communication or business. One to three years experience in public speaking, development, and delivery of presentations, seminars or educational modules. Must have a professional appearance and demeanor. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be organized, computer proficient and work successfully in a team environment. Valid NYS driver's license required.
Eye and Tissue Recovery Technician – Per Diem
Responsibilities: As a member of our procurement team, the Eye and Tissue Recovery Technician works on a per diem basis to recover and preserve eye, musculoskeletal, cardiovascular and other tissue from cadaveric donors.
Requirements: Qualified candidates will possess an Associate's degree or higher in Life Sciences and a minimum of one year of relative work experience, preferably in a hospital or clinical environment. Previous eye or tissue banking experience preferred, ophthalmic technicians, funeral home directors; emergency medical technicians; or those with military medical training and experience will be strongly considered. Must have a valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
Hospital Development Coordinator
M-F and Some evening and weekend event.
Responsible to perform medical record reviews to ensure hospital compliance with regulatory and local agreements. Assess hospital clinical education needs, formulate plans, and implement the PDSA (Plan-Do-Study-Act) practices to ensure education of hospital clinical staff. Provide donor and referral follow-up to hospital staff. Perform documentation and QA of all hospital development activities.
Associate degree or higher in life sciences is preferred. Must have at least one year’s worth of clinical experience. Registered Nurse, LPN, surgical technologist, EMT, or paramedic is desired. Strong medical terminology knowledge and skill required. Experience presenting in front of groups. Strong communication and analytical skills are necessary. Must have strong interpersonal and relationship building skills. Must have proficient computer skills and be detail oriented. Valid Driver’s License required.
Manager of Hospital Development
This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Manager of Organ Services. M-F and some evening or weekend events.
Responsible for overall management of the Organ Services Hospital Development program. Assure Unyts is compliant with local, state and federal regulations as well as all voluntary accrediting agencies. Oversee Organ Services staff regarding hospital development assignments, compliance, and day-to-day hospital development activities. Promote an environment of continuous performance improvement, customer service, and compliance to assure Organ Services meets its Hospital Development goals.
Bachelor’s degree required. Bachelor’s degree or higher in Nursing OR Education with related life sciences experience preferred. Public speaking experience a plus. Must be able to effectively interact with others and demonstrate effective communication skills. Must have proficient computer skills. Knowledge of/experience with hospital systems preferred. Valid Driver’s License required
Pheresis Nurse – Part Time
This is a part time, exempt position in Blood Donor Services. The schedule for this position is Wednesday, Thursday and every Saturday to cover Holidays and vacations, as needed.
- Responsible for all aspects of blood donor screening and collections for blood products collected at Fixed Sites.
- Responsible for the care of the donor throughout the processes and for handling any adverse donor reactions.
- Responsible for adhering to the standard operating procedures (SOP) and for accurate, thorough documentation on the donor record and all other related records associated with the SOP.
- Maintains strong knowledge of the SOP, the instrument operations guides and regulatory requirements.
- RN 2 or 4 year degree required.
- Experience in a blood bank or laboratory services setting preferred.
- Must have current CPR certification.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills required.
- Knowledge in AABB and FDA standards desired.
Vice President of Blood Donor Services
This is an executive level position, reporting to the COO/CFO.
• Provide leadership and direction to the division, while meeting the blood, plasma and platelet needs of our regional hospitals, direct and oversee donor recruitment and collection operations.
• Maintain and cultivate supportive relationships within the regional health care sector and the community.
• Strategic planning and development, creation of annual expense and collections budget and monitoring of annual operating and collection goals against budget.
• Bachelor’s degree required with 7-10 years of broad blood banking and or blood donor experience.
• A master’s degree and/or SBB certification is preferred.
• Demonstrated expertise in leading organizations utilizing combined technical and interpersonal skills.
• Must possess superior leadership, communication and management skills.
• Ability to adapt to and facilitate change through collaboration and team while successfully promoting Unyts Mission, Vision and Values.
• Computer proficient.
• NYS valid driver’s license. Travel Required.
Eye & Tissue Recovery Technician
Responsibilities: Recover musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, skin and other tissues on a per diem basis under the supervision of an Eye and Tissue Recovery Technician Team Leader. Responsible for aseptic surgical tissue procurements, donor reconstruction, tissue packaging at recovery and shipping post-recovery. Must have availability to participate in 24 hour call schedule and meet all related requirements.
Requirements: Associates degree or higher in Life Sciences. Experience in the health/science field such as ophthalmic technician, funeral home director, emergency medical technician, surgical technologist or one year hospital experience in a clinical area; or one year eye bank experience; or one year experience in tissue banking. Knowledge of human anatomy is preferred. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.